Lawyers play a pivotal role in a wide range of transactions and other matters distinct from litigation. A foundation in business law, negotiation skills, statutory analysis, and public policy is critical for lawyers engaged in both litigation and non-litigation practices alike, and in their civic leadership activity. Maine Law offers a rich mix of curricular and fieldwork opportunities in corporate law, tax, finance, nonprofits, economic development, commercial law, intellectual property, compliance, land use, bankruptcy, and more.
Maine as a Laboratory
Maine Law’s program of legal education gives students the tools they need for business practice in all settings, including rural and small firm practice, as well as representation of larger corporate clients. Courses, seminars, and practicums in tax, commercial law, business associations, acquisitions and dispositions, and economic development focus on building business and transactional skills. The university’s emerging University of Maine Graduate and Professional Center holds promise for interdisciplinary clinical work in transactional law, and our Compliance Certificate Program facilitates ongoing collaboration with Maine-based enterprises.
Community engagement opportunities for our students include externships in business and government, as well as summer fellowships to work in entrepreneurial and community development settings. Recent externships and fellowships have included:
- Bride Family Foundation Entrepreneurial Fellowship
- Economic Justice Fellowship
- Externships at Bath Iron Works, Chicago Historical Museum, Cianbro Corporation, City of Portland Corporation Counsel, TD Bank N.A., Tilson Technology Management, The Internal Revenue Service, WEX, and more
Our alumni are business and industry leaders, and include:
- Thomas Brems ’17 – Owner, Victorieux Champagne
- Yueying Wang LaFleur ’16 – Assistant Vice President and Legal Counsel, Unum
- Hilary Rapkin ’93 – WEX Chief Legal Officer, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary
- Heather Sanborn ’07 – Co-Owner and Director of Business Operations, Rising Tide Brewing Company