At Maine Law, students are guaranteed a clinical or externship experience.
Maine Law’s Externship Program allows students to work alongside seasoned attorneys and judges for academic credit. Depending on the placement, students in the Externship Program handle advocacy, policy, regulatory enforcement, and transactional legal matters, and may have the opportunity to practice as a student attorney during their third year of law school. Students in the Externship Program receive valuable feedback and mentoring from their placement supervisors – who are experienced judges and lawyers – and also from the Externship Professor and Director.
Recent externship placements include:
- Corporate: TD Bank N.A.; Cianbro Corporation; Foreside Financial Group, LLC; WEX
- Criminal: Offices of the United States Attorney and the Maine Attorney General; Federal Defender’s Office; various District Attorney offices
- Environmental: Conservation Law Foundation; Maine Attorney General’s Office – Natural Resources Division; Maine Department of Environmental Protection; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Health: InterMed P.A.; Mercy Hospital; Maine Medical Association; Consumers for Affordable Health Care; Penobscot Community Health Care; MaineHealth
- Judicial Externships: State District Court; U.S. Bankruptcy Court; U.S. District Court (Maine); U.S. Court of Appeals (First Circuit)
- Privacy: International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP); Elsevier; RXAnte; Maine Attorney General’s Office – Public Access Ombudsman
- Public Interest: Disability Rights Maine; Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (ILAP); Legal Services for the Elderly; Pine Tree Legal Assistance
- Create Your Own Externship: In addition to regularly offered externship placements, students can also create their own externships at any number of courts, agencies, or institutions.
- Semester in Practice: The Semester in Practice Externship Program allows selected students the unique opportunity to spend an entire semester working alongside a seasoned attorney. This is a full-time externship, which provides 12-14 credits for the semester.
Director of Field Placement Programs and Pro Bono
Administrative Coordinator for Career Services and Field Placement Programs