Mission Statement & Values
Maine Law’s mission is to advance justice and leadership in a changing world. We provide an exceptional, inclusive, and student-centered legal education and serve our local and global communities through teaching, scholarship, and public service.
We pursue our mission through the implementation of our values by an engaged faculty and staff who encourage the advancement of justice for all members of society, promote a system of just laws, and provide students with the knowledge, ethical framework, and skills needed for a career in the law.
- Inclusion and community: Creating a collaborative culture for the study of law that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Academic excellence: Instilling depth and breadth of theoretical and practical learning.
- Experiential learning: Providing practical opportunities inside and outside the classroom to prepare the next generation of lawyers and legal professionals.
- Professionalism: Promoting the highest ethical standards and a strong sense of professional identity.
- Public service: Advancing service to our community, and working with the legislative, judicial, and executive branches.
- Leadership: Preparing the next generation of leaders in Maine and beyond.
- Collaboration: Fostering an interdisciplinary approach to teaching, research, and service.