Maine Law’s Semester in Practice Externship Program allows selected students the unique opportunity to spend an entire semester working alongside a seasoned attorney. This is a full-time externship, which provides 12-14 credits for the semester.
The Law School has a wealth of alumni who are living, working, or are retired in the Washington metropolitan area. Only Massachusetts and, of course, Maine itself boast a higher concentration of Maine Law graduates. This makes D.C. the perfect location for a Semester in Practice experience for our students. Students who are selected to participate in this program spend an entire semester working with a federal agency.
Recent Student-Created Semester in Practice Placements in D.C. Include:
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Department of Commerce
- Internal Revenue Service
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Office of the National Dug Control Policy, the White House
Recent Student-Created Semester in Practice Placements Outside of D.C. Include:
- City of Bangor Legal Department (Maine)
- Community Advocacy and Legal Centre (Ontario)
- Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia
- U.S. Committee for Refugees & Immigrants (New York)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s New York City Office of Regional Counsel