The Judge Frank M. Coffin Lecture on Law and Public Service honors the late Judge Frank M. Coffin, longtime federal judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, former member of Congress, renowned leader and mentor in public service, and beloved friend of the University of Maine School of Law. The Lecture is presented annually by a distinguished speaker during the fall semester.
2019 Judge Frank M. Coffin Lecture
In recognition of Judge Coffin’s centennial year, the 27th annual Judge Frank M. Coffin Lecture on Law and Public Service focused on Judge Coffin’s own life and his substantial contributions to the public good. Maine Law held a special two-part program celebrating his extraordinary legacy.
On Thursday, October 17, Dr. Richard J. Maiman, Judge Coffin’s biographer and Emeritus Professor of Political Science at the University of Southern Maine, presented the 2019 Coffin Lecture at the Portland Museum of Art. The next day a panel composed of former Coffin Clerks and Coffin Family Law Fellows discussed their diverse public interest experiences and Judge Coffin’s impact on their careers.
- 2018: John Cruden, President of the American College of Environmental Lawyers and Principal at Beveridge & Diamond, PC
- 2017: Ambassador Rick Barton, Co-Director of the Princeton Scholars in the Nation’s Service Initiative
- 2016: Margaret Groban, Assistant United States Attorney, District of Maine
- 2015: Mary Bonauto, Civil Rights Project Director, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders
- 2014: Kevin Gover, Director of the Smithsonian Institution’s Museum of the American Indian
- 2013: Judge Nancy Gertner, Professor of Practice, Harvard Law School
- 2012: Jeffrey Lehman, NYU Shanghai & Peking University School of Transnational Law
- 2011: Jonathan Lash, World Resources Institute
- 2010: Stephen H. Oleskey, WilmerHale
- 2009: Kurt L. Schmoke, Dean, Howard University School of Law
- 2008: The Honorable Judith Kaye, Chief Judge of New York State
- 2007: Kenneth R. Feinberg, Special Master, Federal September 11th Victim Compensation Fund
- 2005: Eliot Spitzer, New York State Attorney General
- 2004: Justice Richard J. Goldstone, Constitutional Court of South Africa
- 2003: Scott Harshbarger, former President, Common Cause
- 2002: The Honorable Cruz Reynoso, Boocheever and Bird Chair, University of California Davis School of Law
- 2001: Professor Chai Feldblum, Georgetown University Law Center
- 2000: Alan B. Morrison, Director, Public Citizen Litigation Group
- 1999: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court
- 1998: Warren B. Rudman, former U.S. Senator
- 1997: Professor Robert Reich, former U.S. Secretary of Labor
- 1996: Alvin J. Bronstein, Director, ACLU National Prison Project
- 1995: U.S. Solicitor General Drew S. Days, III
- 1994: Judge Patricia M. Wald, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- 1993: Professor Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
- 1992: Joseph L. Rauh, Jr. (Lecture delivered posthumously by his wife, Olie Rauh, son Michael Rauh, and Justice William J. Brennan, Jr., U.S. Supreme Court)
For more information on Judge Coffin view the Frank M. Coffin Catalog of Speeches, Addresses, and Lectures. This is a catalog of more than 140 speeches, addresses and lectures given by Judge Coffin on the following topics: the judiciary as an institution, judging, the law, the legal profession, legal education, and tributes to other judges, politicians, world leaders, professors and scholars.