The mission of the Student Bar Association (SBA) is to foster a community at the University of Maine School of Law through educational, professional and social events. You will find community not only through the students, staff and faulty but also with the alumni, and the Maine community of legal organizations and professionals.
The SBA is the voice of the student body: an umbrella organization for all of the different student organizations. The SBA works with other student organizations to manage funding received from student activity fees, oversees the incorporation of new student groups, and helps current organizations to maintain appropriate by-laws and administration.
The many student organizations offer speakers, panels, lunches, and a number of other small events throughout the year, while the SBA itself hosts many of the traditional annual events for students, including:
- Mentor-mentee program for all incoming 1L students
- SBA Golf Tournament
- Welcome Social for students and faculty
- Winter Holiday Party
- Last day of class “1L skits”
- Barrister’s Ball
- “Maine Law at the Red Sox” outing at historic Fenway Park in Boston
- “The Back Story” – insight into the life and career of Maine Law professors
- “The Real World: Transition from Law School to Lawyer”
- “Sports Night Out”
- Lunch-and-learn discussions with the Maine State Bar Association
All of our students are encouraged to participate in the SBA with their energy, ideas, and experience.