The Justice For Women Lecture Series brings a distinguished speaker to Maine annually to present a public lecture and to contribute to a global conversation about justice for women and girls in the developing world.
The Lecture Series was established in 2011 with the generous support and leadership of Catherine Lee of Lee International.
2018 Justice For Women Lecture
SAVE THE DATE: The 2018 Justice For Women Lecture will be delivered by Mariam Jalabi on March 29, 2018. Ms. Jalabi is Director of the Syrian National Coalition’s Office at the United Nations in New York. Additional information will be available soon.
- Dr. Lindiwe Sibanda, CEO of FANRPAN (Zimbabwe)
2016, “Overcoming Food Insecurity – Ideas & Inspirations from Zimbabwe to Maine” [Video]
- Ruchira Gupta, Founder & President of Apne Aap Women Worldwide (India)
2015, “Ending Sex Trafficking by Putting the Last Girl First” [Video]
- Dr. Sima Samar, Chair of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (Afghanistan)
2014, “Women’s Rights in Afghanistan” [Video]
- Hon. Albie Sachs, former activist and lawyer (South Africa)
2013, “50 Years with Nelson Mandela: From Law Breaking to Law Making” (special lecturer)
- Leymah Gbowee, 2011 Nobel Peace Laureate, Author, and Liberian Peace Activist (Liberia)
2013, “The Rule of Law and Justice for Victims of Sexual Violence” [Video]
- Hon. Unity Dow, International Human Rights Advocate, Novelist, and Former Judge, Botswana High Court (Botswana)
2012, “Juggling Truths: When Justice is a Moving Target” [Video]
Courage is Contagious Award
The Courage is Contagious Award is awarded annually at the Justice For Women Lecture to an outstanding woman leader who demonstrates a commitment to the mission of the Justice For Women Lecture Series.