On Juneteenth (June 19, 2020), the University of Maine School of Law launched a series of conversations which are designed to identify ways to change public policies, amend legal rules, and transform our society by eliminating racial injustice. These virtual forums are free and open to the public, but registration is required.
Racial Injustice: Reimagining Policing and Public Safety
June 19, 2020, view recording
A panel of state and local leaders discussed specific laws, policies, and resources that could be implemented to change policing and public safety.
Opening Remarks: Governor Janet Mills
Special Guest: Senator Angus King
Moderator: Dean Leigh I. Saufley
- Representative Rachel Talbot Ross, Maine Legislature
- Commissioner Mike Sauschuck, Department of Public Safety
- Micky Bondo, Portland School Board of Education
- Donna Loring, Senior Advisor on Tribal Affairs
- Professor Christopher Northrop
- Julia Sleeper, Tree Street Youth
Save the Date, Part 2
The Law School will continue these conversations on Wednesday, July 22 , 2020 from 5:30 – 7:00 pm. Additional information will be available soon.