Student Bar Association
As your SBA President, my goal is to continue building a strong and unified Maine Law community, and best serve the interest of the student body as a member of the Faculty Committee, New Lawyer’s Division of the Maine State Bar Association, and the Law School Division of the American Bar Association (ABA).
The mission of the SBA is to foster a community here at the law school through educational, professional and social events. It is our hope that you will find community not only through the students, staff and faulty but also with the alumni, the Maine community of legal organizations and professionals, as well as through a connection with the national resources such as the ABA.
As a law student, you are automatically a member of the SBA which is an affiliate of the Law Student Division of the ABA. The SBA is the voice of the student body: an umbrella organization for all of the different student organizations here at Maine Law. The SBA also works with other student organizations to manage funding received from student activity fees, oversees the incorporation of new student groups, and helps current organizations to maintain appropriate by-laws and administration.
Our student organizations offer speakers, panels, lunches, and a number of other small events throughout the year, while the SBA itself hosts many of the traditional annual events for students, including:
- Mentor-mentee program for all incoming 1L students, including a Meet-and Greet
- SBA Golf Tournament
- Welcome Social for students and faculty
- Winter Holiday Party
- Last day of class “1L skits”; an endearing light-hearted spoof of faculty coordinated by the 1L SBA reps
- Barrister’s Ball, the iconic last day of classes formal also known as the “law school prom”
- “Maine Law at the Red Sox” outing at historic Fenway Park in Boston
- Dodge ball tournament
In addition to the traditional annual events, the SBA Board is introducing new programming such as:
- “The Back Story” – insight to the life and career of a Maine Law professor
- “The Real World: Transition from Law School to Lawyer” - Maine Law alum speak to the student body about their experiences after law school
- “Sports Night Out” - Maine Law students attend a local minor league game
- SBA Student Appreciation Day
- Lunch-and-learn discussions with the Maine State Bar Association
We encourage all of our students to participate in the SBA with their energy, ideas and experience. We aim to enrich each other by using our community as a place for personal, professional, and academic growth.
We hope you will join us and participate in all the opportunities offered here at Maine Law! For more general information about the Maine Law SBA, please email us at email@example.com. You may also find us on Facebook. Read our blog!
Diana C. DeJesus
2012 SBA President
University of Maine School of Law
To support the SBA and purchase apparel, caps and totes, visit the SBA online store.
- Diana C. DeJesus, President
- Ben Birney, Vice-president
- Zachary Tackett, Secretary
- Jim Wade, Treasurer
- Diana Genetti, Communication Director
- Taylor Kilgore, ABA Student Representative
- Elyse Apantaku
- Kiel Becker
- Kasey Ciolfi, Service Committee Chair
- Tamlyn Frederick
- Martha McLean
- Kristian Terison
- Zachary Caunter
- Melissa Donahue, Fundraising Committee Chair
- Dash Gill
- Chris Harmon, Events Committee Chair
- Saad Khan
- Nertil Luska